If you’re an expat who has spent some time in India, you should be able to relate to at least a few of these.
1. When you try to learn Hindi .
2. When you don’t like the food but you don’t want to offend your Indian host.
3. The first time you see a squatty potty.
4. When someone has sprayed the entire toilet and floor with water.
5. When the power keeps going out.
6. When Indians meet your children.
7. When men urinate in public.
8. When you try to hang at a Hindu wedding.
9. When you ride an overnight train for the first time.
10. When you don’t understand Indian sense of humor.
11. When you catch a whiff of someone standing next to you on the bus.
12. When you sit down to any Indian meal ever.
13. When you find real cheese.
14. When you don’t understand local idioms.
15. When you see an empty seat on the bus.
16. When you actually understand what someone says in Hindi.
17. When you take a taxi.
18. When the food was a little spicier than anticipated.
19. When someone visits from home with goodies.
20. When you master the squatty potty.
21. When you’re in a crowded bazaar.
22. When you buy a pound of jalebi and it’s gone in 24 hours.
23. Whenever there’s a Hindu holiday or festival.
24. When you surprise yourself by really liking a dish.
25. When you return home after your time abroad.
I love India and all of her enchanting, controlled chaos. But it’s a lot to process the first time you visit!
Planning a trip to India? Check out booking.com.